Tuesday 17 May 2016

Reflection

Compared with my first Project which is to create a dome-like metal sheet to cover the surface of the shell, the new one for the shoes is much more difficult than I expected. And the reason for this is for my first one, there’s only one main making principal which is to hammer the surface from the inner centre circle to the outer surface and make the whole flat metal sheet moves inward. All I need to do for the main part is to be more patient and hammer the surface slowly in a circular way. Also by cooperating with the round iron equipment that exists in the workshop, the final purpose could be easily achieved. 

While for the new one, it can be easily noticed that there are a lot of curved like surface on the shoes and more importantly, the curved direction for some part of the surface are in the opposite way like one part of the surface requires to make the round surface moves inward while for the rest attached part needs to move outward. In the case, the intersecting part of the metal sheet could be easily broken up. In order to solve this kind of conflict, I always used the maker to draw the auxiliary line on the surface with the laser cut object and slowly hammer the surface to make it as accurate as possible to suit the object.

Although the final result is not as good as what I expected. I still think that if I have another chance to make this surface, I could do it better and maybe I could change another way to make the surface like to make another solid and rigid timber model for the object then I could hammer the sheet directly on the surface of the onject. I guess through this way the final surface will be better to suit. 

Overall the new one gives me a quite different experience for the metal sheet making. After this project, it actually helps me improve my metal sheet making skill and push me to learn more equipment inside the workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment